A B2B subscription platform for Mumbrella
The Code Company has a long history of building WordPress solutions for Mumbrella: Australia’s largest publisher in the Media, Marketing and Agency ecosystem.
So when they wanted to reimagine their subscription offering, they turned to us.
Extending the life of major events
Mumbrella host a large number of media and marketing conferences throughout the year.
Despite high attendance, the events team were frequently approached by delegates (or those unable to attend), requesting content from the sessions.
Mumbrella needed a subscription product that went further than its predecessor The Source and extended the life (and revenue potential) of flagship events.
“Our speakers spend a lot of time on their presentations so were largely keen for their content to have a much longer tail.
Expanding our subscription product was the ideal opportunity to achieve this, but it needed a complete rethink. Rather than just fitting in the new content, we had the opportunity to improve from a variety of angles.”
A scalable subscription solution
Given our strong existing relationship with Mumbrella we were already familiar with most parts of their business.
So we got started by facilitating a series of product definition workshops to clarify stakeholders priorities and understand what exactly was needed to make Mumbrella’s new revenue generation product a success.
The Code Company have extensive experience in building subscription sites that scale, so we able to identify a solution that met the business needs and was technically viable.
A data designed user interface
We partnered with our friends at One Rise East and worked collaboratively through some of the data design challenges presented.
The design team worked in synchronicity with the engineering team at The Code Company to create a stunning user interface that delivered on project objectives.
BILLING + DIRECTORY LISTINGS
A complex data migration
There were two significant components to the data migration for this project.
- Migrating from a legacy billing engine to Chargify. The new Mumbrella Pro product was deployed on the latest version of WordPress, as the content and user management system; while Chargify was implemented as the billing engine with a highly customised integration between the two systems.This needed to occur behind the scenes, without any interruption to billing or to the user experience.
- Migrating thousands of directory listings with inconsistent data structures due to the evolution of the previous data taxonomy and schema. This step required the engineering team to work closely with Mumbrella to normalise and standardise all the content coming through to Mumbrella Pro.
billing engine integration
Seamless payment processing
This gave the editorial teams best-of-breed content editing tools and means the support and subscription team benefit from Chargify’s impressive suite of features:
- Real-time renewal processing
- Create subscriber and member only content and multiple subscription tiers
- Self-managed customer billing portal
- Simple signup process and smooth UX
- Automatic customer mapping
- A native integration with WordPress using WordPress users, content and taxonomies.
“Mumbrella Pro launched a day early and with minimal issues.
The agency were a great partner. We worked in a truly collaborative approach with both the development and design team.
Ben and his team were available at all stages, were willing to change and adapt on the fly and responded quickly to development issues.
What is usually a stressful and exhausting process was enjoyable and exciting.”